- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 ½ teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- oil for grill
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Whisk maple syrup, tomato paste, cider vinegar, chili powder, chipotle and granulated garlic in a medium bowl.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper all over the chicken. Soak a paper towel with oil and set near grill with tongs.
- Just before grilling, hold the oil soaked towel with tongs. Drag gently along grill grates, pulling toward you. Immediately add chicken to the oiled grill. Grill chicken, turning often, until the meat is cooked through and no-longer pink inside, about 12 to 16 minutes.
- Brush barbecue sauce all over the tops side of the chicken, and turn over and allow the sauce to caramelize and char ever so slightly, 1 to 2 minutes. While it chars, brush barbecue sauce all over the other side of the chicken. Turn over again, to caramelize the second side. Remove from the grill to a serving platter or carving board and allow chicken to rest 4 to 6 minutes before serving.